Job Opportunity: 2D Design and Layout & Paint Artists
Employer: Taqqut Productions (Toronto Office) / Tundra Friends S1 Inc.
Reports To: Series Production Manager and Design Supervisor
Terms of Employment: January 11, 2021 – October 8, 2021
Contact Information: Melody McMullan, [email protected]
We’re looking for experienced 2D designers and layout & paint artists to join our team for a brand new 2D animated series, Tundra Friends. If you can do both, we’re very excited to hear from you!
Candidates can apply for any of three contract options:
- Character/Prop Design (January 11, 2021 – March 19, 2021)
- Layout & Paint (March 29, 2021 – October 8, 2021)
- Hybrid: Character/Prop Design, transitioning to Layout & Paint (January 11, 2021 – October 8, 2021)
The ideal design candidates will demonstrate a keen understanding of character and prop design for animation, and the ability to adapt and adhere to the production style. Key responsibilities will include creating character and prop designs from rough to complete turnarounds, and preparing all designs for the rigging stage of production. Designers will communicate with the Design Supervisor to submit turnarounds for review weekly, and to make necessary revisions.
The ideal layout and paint candidates will communicate with the Design Supervisor to create high-quality backgrounds based on the storyboards and animatics, while developing and adhering to production style. Layout and paint artists will communicate with the Design Supervisor to submit backgrounds for review weekly, and to make all necessary revisions.
When applying for this job, please provide your resume, portfolio and demo reel.
Please note that we will only be contacting applicants who are residents of the province of Ontario.
Due to COVID-19 this will be a remote work-from-home position. A small Internet stipend will also be provided.
Software Knowledge Required:
Toon Boom Harmony
Adobe Premiere Pro (strong asset)
- Professional experience with design and/or layout & paint for a 2D production
- Able to adhere to production style and tone
- Some animation experience, or ability to think in “animator friendly” terms, is a strong asset
- Strong communication skills in discussing requirements, deadlines and quota with Design Supervisor
- Able to work independently, and in a team environment
- Able to take direction from supervisors
- Able to meet deadlines
What we’re looking for:
- Someone willing to learn, with a great attitude
- Able to work and communicate effectively in a collaborative, fast paced environment
- Highly organized
- Creative thinker
- Problem solver
- Effective time management skills; able to find efficient solutions
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent Resident, and Ontario Resident
Taqqut Productions Inc. is an Inuit-owned film production company located in Iqaluit, Nunavut.
Our films have screened at festivals in eighteen countries and have won over twenty
international awards. With its film and television projects, Taqqut has established itself as an
innovative leader in Northern youth and children’s productions, and aims to preserve the rich
storytelling culture of Inuit and the North.